Our Route

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

16 days ish

With our trip to Peru just a few short weeks away, Lisa and I felt we should create a blog to document our adventures. Obviously I jumped on the idea and spent my afternoon creating this blog: 8000 ft above. The title represents the amount of feet (real number is 7,970) above sea level we will be at when we finally reach Macchu Pichu on the last leg of our adventure.

There are still tons of things to do and buy before we leave but medically speaking we are pretty much prepared. Last month, we headed to the CHUM travel clinic where we had some vaccines. Lisa who was up to date with her shots only needed one: Yellow Fever, I on the other hand needed four. I got the injections in both arms (one arm twice) and even one in my thigh! Can't complain though because from what I heard Polio and Hepatitis A are way more painful to have than the shots. We have also filled prescriptions for Malaria, Altitude Sickness and something else I can't remember the name of. Today though, we took an oral vaccine called Dukoral that we mixed ourselves. The concoction tasted like raspberry tonic water. It was originally fizzing white so I took a picture but as soon as the flash went, the glass was back to boring old water. I shall post the pic anyways:
On another less medical note, some of my exciting and slightly expensive pre-trip purchases include a backpacking knapsack (hopefully from my father), hiking boots (present from wicked-stepmom joy) and laundry detergent sheets (tiny sheets of paper looking material that when placed in water dissolves into detergent...a fun travel toy discovered by mom). Still lots to buy including hiking pants, polar fleece gear, long-underwear, tons of cosmetics, raincoat, etc.

BUT, most importantly, Lisa and I need a new photo for this blog since the one above is from 2006 :s

No comments:

Post a Comment